Thursday, April 2, 2015


Life sure gets in the way of things sometimes, doesn't it?  Last time I blogged, I told you I would tell about the ordeal I had had that weekend. Well, I didn't get around to it because it turned into a much bigger ordeal than I could have imagined. Let me start at the beginning.

At the end of January, my teaching friend and I were supposed to go to another writing/math training so we could bring back what we learned to our school. The night before it snowed. Here in Tennessee that is a big deal. A tiny bit of snow wreaks havoc on our roads, grocery stores, schools, etc. We just aren't prepared. I think it's funny because I grew up in the west where it snows feet at a time. :) The next morning I wake up and check to make sure that the training is still on. I didn't have an email, so I prepared to go. My friend came and picked me up and we were on our way. Less than a mile from my house, we got to see firsthand why Tennesseeans freak out over winter weather.

We were about to pass the fire station, when suddenly we started sliding. We slid to the left, to the right, back to the left, and then turned around backwards. Both of us expected the tires to catch on dy ground any second. Nope. We see us sliding towards the edge of a creek bed into a creek that is full of icy water. I'll never forget that image, that's for sure. We went over the ledge, I forced myself to relax so the impact wouldn't be as bad. I had always heard that drunk drivers don't get hurt in car accidents because they are so relaxed. I figured it was a good strategy. Then suddenly, we slammed really hard and wedged into 2 trees. Thank goodness for those 2 trees. If not for them, we would have been upside down in the freezing creek.

After we hit, I looked to the left and saw the water less than a foot away. Then I looked right and a fireman was already at my window talking on his walkie talkie. We crashed directly across the street from the Fire Department and they just happened to be outside working on their truck! They pulled us out and did everything for us. If it had to happen, it couldn't have happened in a better place!

 Notice how close and high the water is!

We seemed to be fine after the wreck. We got to sit in the warm Fire Department for 3 hours while they tried to get the car out. It took 2 different tow trucks and several different towing cables (they kept breaking) to get it out. They finally had to pull it straight up into the air. Crazy!

I was totally fine. I was definitely sore within 30 minutes, but was good. I even went grocery shopping that night. I noticed that I kept holding my left arm funny, but it didn't hurt, so I couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed that I was sleeping very carefully with my left side super close and protected against my body, while my right side was willy nilly everywhere. After the 3rd day, the pain set in. I had definitely hurt something in my left shoulder.

I got into the doctor and had an MRI. Verdict- partial tear in my rotator cuff with severe inflamation and tendonitis. Yuck! I started physical therapy. I could move my shoulder pretty well, even above my head, but I was in constant pain. The PT started off strong, thinking it wouldn't take more than 3-5 weeks to get me good to go.

Nope, I have now been in PT for 9 weeks and I am not one bit better. I went back to the doctor and had a cortisone shot. Everyone told me it would be a miracle cure. Nope. It lowered the inflammation SOMETIMES, but I am no better. Sigh. They started talking surgery. Wah.

We are on Spring Break this week. I have spent 3 of the 4 days at the doctor. They sent me back for an MRI again. This time of my neck. I started having numbness, weakness, and my hand keeps turning blue. Maybe this will show something. Probably not though, since I can't seem to do anything easy. We'll see.

Needless to say, I haven't been around because pain is not my friend. I am barely making it each day. I have had to do this blog post in 5 different sessions today. Work is horrible, but thankfully I love my job, and am good at pushing through and dying later. :)

I've done some fun things though. We had a Family Fluency Night. As soon as I get around to downloading pics from my camera, I will show you. I loved it! We have done great activities in class. I am in the middle of my Masters Program. I am a coach for future teachers. I am competing in a quartet contest in 2 weeks, and so much more. Life still goes on, pain or not. My youngest, Crazy Boy, also turns 11 on Saturday! What?! How am I this old? :)

I have managed to get my last homework packet completed though. :) Here it is if you need it. I really, really want to get on of my  monthly printables packets done too. Darn shoulder really messed up my TpT plans! We'll see if I get to it. Hopefully, pain-free days will be coming soon!

Be Fun and Fabulous Even in Pain! :)

~Mrs. Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment